Gregs' Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Out of character place

+3
AnnieFan
Taneb
Daemian Lucifer
7 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Out of character place - Page 2 Empty Re: Out of character place

Post  Smeagol Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:08 pm

were shuld i be starting from

Smeagol

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemian Lucifer Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:20 pm

Youll fit in with my story nicely.

Anyway,you didnt do your research well 4 years ago,so you were captured by the military.During your captivity,you found out that general populace doesnt know about extra terrestrials,even though numerous companies and governments are doing bussiness with them for quite a long time.Thats how earth has advanced from its pre-industrial 18th century,into hyper-industry heavy 19th century.

After some diplomatic talk with officials from your planet,you were allowed to move only inside military bases in england,and any info you require was provided to you by humans.

You were doing some research in gorleston,when suddenly alamrs went off.While the fighting was going on,a pod crashed through the ceiling and smashed your door.Tired of having to go through heaps of paperwork in order to do your job,you go outside of your,otherwise guarded,room,and head for the place you know has camouflage outfits.
Daemian Lucifer
Daemian Lucifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Strong Vader Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:47 pm

We should have a table for how tinkering with robot brains goes.
Strong Vader
Strong Vader
Admin

https://gregscorner.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Taneb Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:48 pm

So another OPIGS Expansion? OPIGS Cyberpunk?
Taneb
Taneb

Back to top Go down

Post  Strong Vader Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Well, DMM did make it just as a framework to build on.

12+ The robot is completely loyal to you and understands every command without specific operational parameters
9-11 The robot is loyal but needs to be addressed by name and specific instructions must be given
6-8 The robot needs specific instructions for everything
4-6 The robot is blank and unresponsive, ie, it turns on, but doesn't know anything; its memory is shot. Oh well, you can use it for parts.
3 The robot sparks and electrocutes you.
2 The robot returns to life while you're tinkering with it and starts shooting at you
1- The robot blows up.
Strong Vader
Strong Vader
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemian Lucifer Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:11 pm

We could just go with different interpretation of what success means.

So critical success means that the robot is completely loyal to you,is repaired,and has bonus(+2) when someone tries to hijack it from you.
Amazing success means that robot is completely loyal to you,and has bonus(+1) when someone tries to hijack it from you.
Excelent and good success mean that robot is completely loyal to you.
Success means that robot will obey,but wont go against original creator,or destroy itself.
Marginal success means that robot will obey,but wont go against original creator,or destroy itself.And it has (-1)check when someone else tries to hijack it.
Marginal failure means that it will just be confused for some time.
Failure means nothing.
Bad failure means that robot will either attack you or it locks down(50-50%).
Severe failure is like bad failure,except that it has more chance(70%) to attack.
Massive failure means that robot will either attack you(40%),lock down(10%),or explode and damage you.
Critical failure means that it explodes and injures you.

I really dont want to add more tables for each of the things.It stops beaing one page rule book then.I think of most stuff on the fly,and if it look good,I keep it.If not,then Im not obliged to follow it,like I would with a table.And this way,whoever goes as a GM after me,can tweak anything I did,or simply discard it completely.

I already have massive tables for encounters,baddies,weapons,etc,but I dont want to use those.

Also,its much more fun seeing the players interpret the numbers than waiting for GM to think of something.
Daemian Lucifer
Daemian Lucifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemian Lucifer Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:37 pm

You dont have to think that every encounter with inteligent beings(even those that are clearly hostile in the begining)must end up in combat.Im prone to intimidation(wheter well written,or well rolled),and charm and bribes.Though some might work better on some creatures than others.

Combat robots,though,are uninteligent.But,like Strong Vader has shown,can be manipulated.

There are inteligent AIs on the other hand(and not just in humanoid robot form),but those wont be hostile from the begining.Most of the times.
Daemian Lucifer
Daemian Lucifer

Back to top Go down

Post  beads Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:07 am

ok, so, I want to join. What do I do before I join?

beads

Back to top Go down

Post  Strong Vader Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:13 am

Roll five d20s and five d8s, then add the respective d20s and d8s together. Refer to the table to find which value is which. Roll a d6. Refer to the table to find which dice to use for hitpoints calculation.
Strong Vader
Strong Vader
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemian Lucifer Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:25 am

And if you dont like the result,you can roll again(the whole set though,not individual characteristics),then choose which of the two you like better.
Daemian Lucifer
Daemian Lucifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemian Lucifer Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:27 am

Strong Vader wrote:Um, Mr. GM, sir? Could you tell me how many XP and cash I got out of those schweinhunds?

That was out of character.

Anyway,you got 1xp,and found some loose change in their pockets,amounting to 20$.
Daemian Lucifer
Daemian Lucifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Strong Vader Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:57 pm

If the UK is a war zone, with invading robots killing off soldiers and vice versa, shouldn't plundering for weapons off bodies and abandoned arsenals be common? I mean, you'd expect more people to have military-grade weapons.
Strong Vader
Strong Vader
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemian Lucifer Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:45 am

But UK isnt a war zone.This is a single attack in just one of its cities.And one that is being under control now.
Daemian Lucifer
Daemian Lucifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Strong Vader Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:42 pm

Ah. I am enlightened.

And in-game and taken from the H2G2 universe, Betelgeusians are not very good at detecting sarcasm.
Strong Vader
Strong Vader
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieFan Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:55 pm

Strong Vader wrote:And in-game and taken from the H2G2 universe, Betelgeusians are not very good at detecting sarcasm.
If it's in-game, go do it in the game! =)

AnnieFan

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemian Lucifer Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:10 am

AnnieFan wrote:
Strong Vader wrote:And in-game and taken from the H2G2 universe, Betelgeusians are not very good at detecting sarcasm.
If it's in-game, go do it in the game! =)

Even though it is ingame,its not in character.Its character attribute,known to you,the players,but not your characters(yet at least).
Daemian Lucifer
Daemian Lucifer

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieFan Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:49 am

But we could easily infer it from his reaction.

AnnieFan

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieFan Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:55 am

And by the way, is talking a free action? Because I don't want to get ambushed by robots while everyone's talking.

AnnieFan

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemian Lucifer Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:37 pm

AnnieFan wrote:But we could easily infer it from his reaction.

Thats why he said it here,so that he doesnt have to detail all of his facial features and body language and tone of voice.

AnnieFan wrote:And by the way, is talking a free action? Because I don't want to get ambushed by robots while everyone's talking.

Its not.But I have no plans on ambushing you right now.In fact,Im just reading and letting you guys drive the story for a bit.Ill intervene later,when you guys form a party,or go separate ways.
Daemian Lucifer
Daemian Lucifer

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieFan Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
AnnieFan wrote:But we could easily infer it from his reaction.

Thats why he said it here,so that he doesnt have to detail all of his facial features and body language and tone of voice.
He wouldn't have needed to anyway. The response he gave in the game made it quite clear.
But I'm going to stop arguing now. We come into conflict enough on IWC forums as it is.

AnnieFan

Back to top Go down

Post  Strong Vader Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:14 pm

The current state of the Galactic Government:

The Imperial Galactic President is (at last check) Zaphod Beeblebrox. The opposing candidate, Allosaurus, though, was gaining on Beeblebrox in the polls and I have no idea who it is now. The "Imperial" comes from the Emperor held in stasis (much to his own annoyance). The Galactic Rebellion was a group 3,000 years ago who sought to overthrow the puppet Emperor (who, although made good speeches and made cool-looking battle stations, found himself slightly dead one morning, much to his irritation) who needed all the firepower they could get.

Now, the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation:

The Galactic equivalent of "Made in China". Sometimes they make great stuff cheaply, but other times, half their inventory is recalled. And the Genuine People Personalities robots actually were Genuine People Personalities, so they were mostly psychotic idiots who couldn't see past their own noses (or scent receptacle for irridisregardless species). And to "pick up chicks," the marketing managers decided to market to some of the induhviduals (look it up, it's a term with Scott Adams) on an underdeveloped planet to open retail franchises. And they tried to create social unrest by exporting hundreds of thousands of cows to Earth to raise the temperature by a few tenths of a degree.
Strong Vader
Strong Vader
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Taneb Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:30 am

The political climate on Earth:

After fighting for the Americas and losing badly to the British in 1776, France fell into a state of Anarchy. Britain went on to conquer, colonise, and control most of the world, except for the Barbaric Frankish Lands (Austrasia, Frisia, Saxony, Thurungia, Barvaria, Swabia, and part of Burgundy), which were to chaotic to control by anyone, themselves included. The British Empire left them alone until 1995, when Queen Elizabeth the Strong mounted a campaign to conquer them, which failed horribly in October 1997, resulting in the Queen's whereabouts being unknown. This led to the world becoming more disordered, with the British empire crumbling away, in the end leaving it without even Wales. Despite being technically just England, the British Empire stayed named thus, and remained powerful, perhaps due to the rise of the powerful corporations such as TriCell. Japan, however, became the technical centre of the world, as nearly all robots were designed there. In 2001 TriCell, the de facto rulers of Britain, gave permission to the world to dump all their waste in the water surrounding Gorleston-On-Sea, much to the complaint of the locals. Most of the world's oil comes from the sparsely populated region of Siberia, and is pumped directly to Japan, making the residents of Siberia some of the richest people alive. The rest of the world's oil comes from the Middle East, which has collapsed into about 200 densely populated city-states. This Oligopoly on oil has most of the world's power to come from biofuels and hydro-electric power stations.
Taneb
Taneb

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemian Lucifer Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:37 am

Well,I see that both Taneb and Strong Vader can replace me as a GMFTW(thats game master for the week).

So,are you guys willing?
Daemian Lucifer
Daemian Lucifer

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieFan Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:44 am

Just a question: to get critical success do you need to roll a 12 before you modify it? Or afterwards it has to be more than 12?

AnnieFan

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemian Lucifer Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:18 am

If its 12 or more after the modification,its a critical success.If its 1 or less after the modification,its a critical miss.
Daemian Lucifer
Daemian Lucifer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum